Disney made a big change two years ago involving its Guest Assistance Card. The GAC was designed to help people with disabilities bypass long lines for attractions. It proved helpful for people with serious disabilities. Unfortunately, as with many programs with the best of intentions, the program was misused. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations terminated the GAC program and replaced it with Disability Access Service.
According to Disney, “The Disability Access Service card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). A DAS card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disney’s FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+.”
FastPass+ is a virtual queuing system where you make an appointment for an attraction and bypass standing in line.
A guest service cast member can’t ask about your disability, but they may ask, “What obstacles do you think you will face in the park that might inhibit your ability to enjoy it?”
Not everyone with a wheelchair will receive a DAS. Wheelchair users can go to the ride exit and get a return time. The DAS allows you to get ride times added at one of four kiosks throughout the park. Only one ride can be queued up at a time.
• Scootaround currently provides a unique Meet and Greet service for personal mobility equipment rentals at Disney World properties. Since 2012, visitors to Disney are able to rent equipment through Scootaround’s reservation services in both the Winnipeg and Orlando locations. Equipment will be delivered to them upon arrival. Once delivered, Scootaround’s personnel take the time to explain key features. To book personal mobility equipment for rental or for more information call 888/441-7575 or visit www.scootaround.com/rent-online.
• Disney disAbilities forum: www.disboards.com/forum display.php?f=20
• Disney Parks Disability Access Service Card Fact Sheet: disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet
• Guests with Disabilities, FAQ, Walt Disney World: disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities
• Services for Guests with Disabilities, Disneyland: disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities